Can You Remove Black Mold Yourself? – A Guest Post!

Last year, we thought we had a BIG problem. We started noticing a lot of discoloration in the grout of our Master Bathroom’s large step-down shower. I’m a worst-case scenario kinda girl, and it took no time at all for me to have visions of all the nasty things that could be growing behind that tile! Before I knew it, I was certain the entire house would be condemned!

Thankfully, all we ended up having to do was have our shower re-grouted, and there was nothing monster-ish found. WHEW! But we learned a lot in the process!

So when Naveed Latif contacted me with a post about black mold, I thought it was quite important – we all need to know what to look out for in order to best protect our family, right? Here’s what she had to say, from a basement perspective! (But really, this goes for any damp area in your home!)


When your basement gets damp, conditions are ideal for the growth of dangerous black mold.  You may be tempted to try to remove the mold yourself, but is that really a good idea?  Black mold is very toxic, and its presence can pose serious health and safety risks to your home and your family.  Left alone, it can cause major problems very quickly.  If you are not a pro, it would be better to hire mold remediation services for your own wellbeing. The question here isn’t “CAN you remove the mold yourself”, it’s “SHOULD you remove the mold yourself”.  Yes, you can remove black mold yourself.  Should you? That depends on whether you are willing to take the necessary safety precautions to do it safely.

Continue reading