Chances are that wherever you are right now, it’s cooling down. Except where I am in Florida, of course, since it will NEVER cool off here! (At least that’s what it feels like! The high on Thanksgiving is supposed to be 78 degrees! AGH!!!) But I digress…
When it cools off I always like to make warm, filling foods. Foods that fill the entire house with amazing smells. Foods that get in your belly and settle in so nicely that you don’t even care how cold it is outside. Foods that you think of when you think of the perfect Fall recipe. Like soup.
Except, if you ate soup all the time, you’d get bored with it rather quickly. So, instead…allow me to present:
Squash & Sausage Bake (Scroll down if you’d like a printable version!)
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 and a half cups)
2 apples, sliced
1 cup seedless red grapes
1 small red onion, chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon caraway
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
6 bratwursts or Italian sausages
It’s really not that many ingredients! (Yay for a budget-friendly meal, too!)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
2. Combine squash, apples, grapes and onion. (Don’t you love how colorful it is?!)
3. Sprinkle with oil, caraway, salt and pepper, then toss to coat.
4. Pour into a 13X9-inch pan, or a large roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet, and arrange your bratwursts over the top.
5. Bake until brats are browned and hot all the way through, and the squash is very tender. (Mine took 35 minutes).
This is seriously one of my favorite things to pull out of the oven!
The brats are perfectly browned and so plump and juicy, and the apples and squash have softened just enough to be perfectly delicious! The onions have added just the right flavor, and the grapes have split and let their juices flow through the whole dish. (Now I’m hungry again.)
Sometimes I’ll serve this with rolls and a salad, but it really is phenomenal all by itself, too!
Here’s the printable version for ya!
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 and a half cups)
- 2 apples, sliced
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caraway
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 bratwursts or Italian sausages
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Combine squash, apples, grapes and onion.
- Sprinkle with oil, caraway, salt and pepper, then toss to coat.
- Pour into a 13X9-inch pan, or a large roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet, and arrange your bratwursts over the top.
- Bake until brats are browned and hot all the way through, and the squash is very tender. (About 35 minutes).
Due to the amount of comments from all of my wonderful readers, it is not always possible for me to respond to each one. However, I absolutely do read them all, and if you’d like to address something specific, or have a question for me, please don’t hesitate to email me at Kristen@theroadtodomestication.com. I will respond to your email as soon as possible! Thank you for visiting the blog!