The other day, while on my commute, I noticed a plume of thick dark gray smoke in the distance. Are you thinking what I’m thinking?!
LOST!!! Did anyone besides me LOVE that show?!
I promise, it looked JUST LIKE THAT! And it made me think of the show, and also the craziness that is the Malaysian airliner; the one that’s disappeared without a trace! And on the creative side of my brain, I totally believe they have crashed on some gorgeous island unknown to humankind, and they’re just all trying to stay alive and get back home!
Not long after, I received an email from the lovely Alexandra from Man Crates. Have you heard of Man Crates? They are a new company that ships awesome gifts for men in custom wooden crates! (It’s the equivalent of a woman’s favorite kind of gift basket, really!) Man Crates’ mission is literally to end the difficulties that have long been associated with buying gifts for MEN!
Alexandra had one question for me: what’s in your personal survival kit?
The question was then clarified: if you were stranded on a desert island, what 5 things would you want to have with you?
Hmmm…that’s a good one! It took me right back to LOST…and here’s what I’ve decided:
- Soft Lips – because I HATE when my lips get chapped
- A journal – because I would want to chronicle the experience
- A solid supply of Diet Coke – I know it’s bad for me, but you gotta die from something…and I love it!
- A Vera Bradley bag – because someone is gonna have to carry everyone else’s stuff around, and I ADORE my Vera!
- My iPhone – which my husband said there was no point in taking because there would be no signal out there, but I think I could rig something. And if not, I could still read the Bible and look at pictures and TAKE pictures, too!
Since he was being so vocal about what I was bringing, I asked what HE would bring!
UGH, he’s SO PRACTICAL!!!
- A rope – in case he needed to tie something up or climb a tree (his words, folks, not mine)
- Water – because his dad works for Zephyrhill’s water and he’s gotta represent
- Oakleys – because the sun would be bright
- Banana Boat Sunscreen – because the sun would be bad and he doesn’t want skin cancer
- A combo lighter/USB drive – because he would need to build fires to send smoke signals so we could be rescued, and to have SOME form of technology along for the ride
I’m still a little concerned about that rope…and that proves that men see things differently than women! But didn’t we already know that?! And that’s why we women have such a hard time buying men the perfect gifts, no matter whether they’re an survivor, a gamer, a snacker, or something else.
So I checked out the Man Crates website and picked a crate for my hubby…that included that dang rope. **SIGH**
It’s their “Outdoor Survival Crate”.
So now it’s your turn! Check out Man Crates for the hard-to-buy-for man in your life!
And I wanna know…what’s in YOUR personal survival kit?! Do tell!
Due to the amount of comments from all of my wonderful readers, it is not always possible for me to respond to each one. However, I absolutely do read them all, and if you’d like to address something specific, or have a question for me, please don’t hesitate to email me at Kristen@theroadtodomestication.com. I will respond to your email as soon as possible! Thank you for visiting the blog!