Just under a week until Thanksgiving, my FAVORITE holiday! Are you ready?!
I’m hitting the “excited” stretch now. I’ve been looking down the barrel of “I have WAY too much to get done before Thanksgiving” for a few weeks now, but at this point, I think I’m fairly set! And I’m here to share a few helps with you so you can be fairly set, too!
My parents are in town for a week and a half, so of course, I needed to make sure my house was ready for them!
Here’s how to make sure YOU are ready for house guests, too!
We had a crazy busy weekend…to the point that I thought I just might have a nervous breakdown (HA! Just kidding…well, maybe only kidding a little…) But it was all worth it in the end!
Accomplished on Friday:
- I got someone to clean my house. And YES, this is marked as an accomplishment on my list! First of all, because I’m pretty anal about cleaning my house and it’s hard for me to “let go” and let someone else do it. And second of all because it’s hard to find someone to clean a house around these parts. But I knew I couldn’t get everything done this weekend – there was just no way.
- Grocery shopping
Yes, we are having house guests again! It may seem a bit much, since we only moved into the house in April, and we had house guests in July, now in September, and we will have more in October, but you know what? We really enjoy hosting folks in our home!
When we were house-hunting, we were looking for the standard 3-bedroom 3-bath 2-car garage home. The perfect “starter home”, ya know? Since it was our first. When we looked at the house we ended up buying, I remember thinking, and telling Jerrod, “4 bedrooms! We don’t need 4 bedrooms! Is that greedy of us to place an offer on a house with 4 bedrooms?” We felt such a peace about it, so we ended up going ahead with the offer, and then the purchase. So we decided then, since we had the space, we would use it, and use it well.
This coming weekend we are hosting 4 boys and a chaperone from the African Children’s Choir, and we are SO excited! The group will be at our church to minister on Sunday morning, so we’ll pick our crew up on Saturday evening, feed them, let them get a good night’s sleep, and then feed them again Sunday morning before heading to church to watch them sing! (They are SO sweet – if you’ve never heard of the African Children’s Choir before, it’s an amazing organization. PLEASE check out their website (www.africanchildrenschoir.com), and listen to them sing. BEAUTIFUL voices, BEAUTIFUL children.)
Happy Monday, all! It IS happy, right? At least that’s what I try to tell to myself, ha!
As you’re reading this, I’m at the surgery center with my husband, who is having yet another skin cancer removed. Send up a little prayer for him, if you will! He is his doctor’s youngest patient, and has never been one for the sun anyways, so we’re not sure how he keeps ending up with these things. The fact that they’re on his head (you know, close to his BRAIN, which is kind of valuable, ha!) is what makes it a little extra sensitive, and a little bit of extra recovery, too. Anyhow…I still say it’s a Happy Monday!
We had a great weekend leading up to this surgery, though, so that’s good!
Accomplished on Friday:
- Delivered final photos to a client
- Well, this is not so much of an “accomplishment”, but we went to the Tampa Bay Rays baseball game Friday night. Free tickets from the hubby’s work is always great, so we just had to pay for parking and munchies. And it was a GREAT game…against the Baltimore Orioles…that went into EIGHTEEN INNINGS. Oh yes. Um, we left at 8 innings (to beat the traffic, right?) and as we were laying down to go to sleep that night around 12:30 a.m., we went to check the score and found out that they were still playing! The game ended at around 2:00 a.m., so we’re pretty glad we left when we did! (Oh, the Rays DID win, by the way, 5 to 4, wohoo!)
Accomplished on Saturday:
- Saturday was originally slated to be our monthly “day of nothing”, but that didn’t quite happen
- Slept in (yes, I label that as an accomplishment)
- Tried several new healthy food items and recipes (will share later this week)
- Prepped our guest room and project room for guests coming next weekend (we have 4 boys and a chaperone from the African Children’s Choir who will be with us while they’re ministering at our church! We’re pretty excited about their visit!)
- Worked on the Fall decorating
- Consulted with multiple photography clients
- In general, we tried to get everything done that needed to be done before J’s surgery and our house guests arrive
Accomplished on Sunday:
- Sound check, Sunday School, choir and church
- I spent the Sunday School hour running the slideshow for our combined Sunday School class (all the adult classes and the Junior and High School kids came together in the Sanctuary for a special speaker). We had the opportunity to hear from a missionary to Muslims, which was very interesting and heart-rending, all at the same time.
- Lunch with friends after church
- Sunday afternoon nap!
- Consulted with more photography clients
- Finished up the Fall decorating, since Sunday marked the first day of Fall! (Which, in Florida, means that the high today is still slated for 90 degrees, ha!) I’ll show you what Fall looks like at my house later this week!
Oh, and for those who are following our “healthier lifestyle” saga, we just ate healthy this past week. Hubby has now lost 13 pounds (if you read the first blog on this you know that is ONE POUND MORE than he was allowed to lose!!! MEN!) and I’ve lost 9.3. So not too bad. I’m incorporating exercise in this week!
So that’s about it! What did YOU do this weekend? Is your Fall decor up yet? I wanna see!
Here are the top five posts (in no particular order) that folks liked here On the Road in August! (Can you believe it’s already September?!)
1. Passing the Test on Back to School Organization (Wohoo!!! This was my post from our Back to School Blog Hop, so I’m so thrilled that everyone liked it so much!)