Everyone around here knows that I LOVE organization. My theory is, life is CRAZY. There are TONS of things you’ll never be prepared for, but by being organized and ready for the things you CAN be, you can combat the rest of the craziness with confidence!
So when I got wind of a new book on organization, I wanted to share it with all of you – in more than one way! Check it out!
Organizing for Your Lifestyle is a fun, inspiring guide to organizing all aspects of your life, from socks to suitcases.
I’m pretty sure that everyone this side of the moon knows I LOVE organization. A basic organization post here on the blog is normally geared towards organizing for a specific event, like going back to school, etc. But you know what? Sometimes I find it hard to KEEP my home organized, either after I organize it or when it’s not so important that it BE organized! Do you ever feel that way?
So when Jenn Grabowski contacted me with some tips for staying organized all year ’round, not only did I put them into practice myself, but I wanted to share them with all of you! Are you ready? Here we go!
As the seasons change, it can be easy to let stuff accumulate around the house. We all have the habit of buying things as we need them, but we don’t tend to think about how we will store all of the things we buy. This can make it very easy to discover that we’ve let things pile up and that we now have a clutter situation on our hands.
With the cooler weather coming, and not to mention the holidays, now is a good time to work on your home organization system so that, by the time Christmas rolls around, you’ll have a good system in place.
Less than 7 months until Christmas, y’all.
I’m sorry – I couldn’t resist.
Can you believe that today is JUNE 1?! (It’s also the beginning of hurricane season, which is a big deal for us in Florida. And since the painters literally finished painting the outside of our house on Friday, I’m not sure whether we’re totally smart – since everything is nicely sealed now – or totally gonna have an insurance claim on our hands – and have to pay for new paint all over again! I guess we’ll find out…)
Anyway…today is the day we find out the top five posts here on the blog for the month of May! Let’s see…
We’re a little over half-way through January now – how are you coming on your New Year’s Resolutions? Did you even make any? If so, do any of them involve home organization? If you need a little inspiration, you’ve come to the right place!
When Fay from Label-Land contacted me and asked me if I would be interested in publishing her article on creative home organizing tips, all I needed was a quick glance to know that YES, I was definitely interested! Because this is the time of year when everyone is talking about organization. The problem is, you hear the same thing over and over again. And the following, my friends, are not the same ideas you’ve already heard this year!
So, without further ado, may I present…
5 Creative Home Organizing Tips
Skip the plain storage solutions, and instead opt for some creative alternatives when you are tackling your next organizational project. Good organization should look attractive while meeting your personal needs.
#1: Pack Your Bags
Don’t donate those old suitcases, they provide the perfect place to store a multitude of household items. Whether they’re plain, cloth-sided affairs, or cool vintage hard-sided varieties, you can repurpose them into storage or furniture.
- Store your extra bedding or off-season clothing inside the suitcases. They slide easily under the bed, while keeping everything fresh and dust-free.
- Use vintage vanity cases or small suitcases to organize items in the bathroom. They look pretty when stacked in a corner or on the counter.
- Turn a cool hard-sided suitcase into a coffee table. Screw on a couple of furniture legs – securing them with a washer and nut on the inside of the case – for an instant table that also provides storage.
- Don’t like the color of that old hard-sided suitcase? Try repainting it or covering it with decoupage so it matches your décor. Decorative contact paper is another quick fixer-upper.
I’ve been working on a few details around my home that needed some attention, and all of them were storage related. So I thought it was pretty funny when Sofia Lewis sent me a guest post to share with all of you called Clever Storage Solutions at Home. I thought it was even funnier when I read it and realized that everything she was talking about was everything I had just done, ha! So, without further ado, here’s Sofia:
Having more free space at home is becoming a highly valued commodity. It should come as no surprise either – people have different hobbies, interests and daily routines that require a ton of things they need to find storage solutions for. Thankfully, the market offers a nice set of options to help in the search for more space at home. You can now pick whatever works best for you and it can be fairly easy to implement, too. A lot of the storage solutions can be transformed into do-it-yourself projects around the house, and with enough time and vision, you can turn your home into a real storage unit.
Let’s look at few options that can help you on your quest of finding more storage space.
- Drawer organizers and dividers – if you have enough drawers you may think you have enough space, but chances are that if your drawers are just filled without order, they will soon be overflowing. You will soon find out that you are left with too much stuff and no place in your drawers. To maximize their potential, you should consider using drawer organizers and dividers. These are a smart solution to help you utilize the space in your drawers to the maximum. Your tools, kitchen accessories or whatever else you put inside will be in order and thus you can fill more.