My husband’s family is BIG on getting together! Everyone gathers often at the family home, in the “party room”, as they call it (which is an old workshop transformed into a huge eating room with an attached screen porch and a full kitchen!) There are normally about 50 of us out there for any given event, and one of the favorite dishes of all is always the Overnight Salad.
I first had the Overnight Salad a few years ago when I attended the first dinner with my husband (before we were even married) and I LOVED it! Number one, it was gluten-free, which is how I must eat, and number two, it was GOOD!
Over the next couple of years, I helped prepare the Overnight Salad on several occasions, and my hubby’s aunt finally gave me the recipe. She’s not exactly sure where it came from, but one thing’s for sure – she can make it in her sleep now, and I’m well on my way, too!
So, without further ado, may I present…
1 head of lettuce, diced
1 cup diced green onions
1 cup diced celery
1 package frozen green peas
1 16-ounce jar mayonnaise
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon garlic salt
4 large tomatoes, diced
6 eggs, boiled and diced
1 pound of bacon, friend and crumbled
1. Layer the lettuce in a 13X9-inch dish. It should be about half full with lettuce, but you may not have to use the whole head.
2. Layer the green onions and celery on top of the lettuce, then layer the frozen green peas over the top. (One of the great things about this salad is that you can be as detailed or quick as you want to – depending on what your grocery store already offers chopped!
3. Cover with enough mayonnaise to seal all of the peas. Be sure not to leave any openings, or you will have water form in the bottom of your salad.
4. Layer top of mayonnaise with parmesan cheese, and then sprinkle with sugar and garlic salt.
5. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight. Before serving, layer tomatoes, being sure to cover the entire top.
6. Layer and diced eggs then, and the bacon last.
And there you have it! What is soon to be a favorite of your own family!
Do you enjoy salads in the summer, or all year ’round?
Due to the amount of comments from all of my wonderful readers, it is not always possible for me to respond to each one. However, I absolutely do read them all, and if you’d like to address something specific, or have a question for me, please don’t hesitate to email me atKristen@theroadtodomestication.com. I will respond to your email as soon as possible! Thank you for visiting the blog!