Happy Memorial Day Weekend, all! No, I normally don’t post over the weekend, but this post is a special one!
Now, let me clarify: I DO know the difference between Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day, never fear. (Just in case any of YOU don’t, Memorial Day is the day when we honor those who have fallen while serving our country. Veteran’s Day is the day when we honor those who have served our country, and are still among us.) While this IS Memorial Day Weekend, what I’m about to tell you about is closely related – and a great cause to get involved in!
Of what do I speak?
America’s VetDogs® is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization that serves the needs of disabled veterans from all eras who have honorably served our country.
Isn’t that the coolest thing?!
I did some research on VetDogs, and was thrilled to learn even more about what they do for those in need:
- VetDogs provides guide dogs for individuals who are blind or have low vision; hearing dogs for those who have lost their hearing later in life; service dogs for those with other physical disabilities
- VetDogs also provides facility dogs as part of the rehabilitation process in military and VA hospitals, and PTSD service dogs to help mitigate the effects of PTSD in an effort to provide the emotional and physical support needed
- VetDogs includes support services for first responders (fire, police and emergency medical personnel)
- All of VetDogs’ services are provided at no cost to veterans and first responders
I got a little emotional as I read through the VetDogs website. For those who have given so much to maintain our freedom to have such a loyal companion to help them learn to live life again – wow. It’s very moving! And in observing the photos of these dogs on the website, you can tell that there is nothing else they’d rather be doing!
So, you want to know how YOU can help VetDogs?
- Spread the word to veterans about their services
- Make a financial contribution and/or encourage your employer, club or congregation to contribute or raise funds
- Sponsor a class, a veteran/dog team or one of their airport “meet and greets.”
- Invite a VetDogs speaker to your next meeting or event
- Include America’s VetDogs® in your bequest, legacies and planned gifts
- Make a donation in memory or honor of your fallen comrades, friends, or loved ones
VetDogs Treats are another way to support America’s Vet Dogs! By purchasing these in your local Walmart, you can help give back to those who have sacrificed so much for our country.
VetDogs was kind enough to send over some of their treats for our Taffy to test – treats which, by the way, contain no fillers or gluten meals, and have naturally sourced linoleic acid to help support a healthy skin and coat.
Taffy was obviously a fan!
So the next time you’re at Walmart (maybe while you’re making that last run for your BBQ supplies for the weekend’s festivities!) grab a couple of bags of VetDogs treats for the dog in your life. You can rest assured that you’re providing your pet with a nutritious snack, as well as nurturing the minds and bodies of those who have sacrificed MUCH for our freedom!
Due to the amount of comments from all of my wonderful readers, it is not always possible for me to respond to each one. However, I absolutely do read them all, and if you’d like to address something specific, or have a question for me, please don’t hesitate to email me at Kristen@theroadtodomestication.com. I will respond to your email as soon as possible! Thank you for visiting the blog!