We’re continuing on the journey of ridding our home of nasty chemicals before the girls arrive later this summer, and can I just say: I had no idea there was so much JUNK in our house! It’s almost scary, the amount of chemicals that are in everyday items! And I’m so glad we started working on it when we did!
So when Phoebe Parlade offered some facts on things in household chemicals that could be affecting our skin, I felt it was important to share with all of you! Please! Take a few moments to educate yourself!
Recently several studies have linked many medical issues to household chemical exposure. The Consumer Product Safety Commission points out that asthma rates, for example, have jumped an alarming fifty-nine percent since the year 1970. This trend is not necessarily surprising considering that household cleaning products alone now make up a $12 billion/year industry.
Additionally, the cosmetic industry is a roughly $40 billion/year industry. Several studies have continued to find strong correlations between chemicals used in both types of products and many illnesses. Here is a link with more detailed information about common and dangerous chemicals as well as alternative cleaning methods: http://www.penn-jersey.com/post-cleaning-products-to-avoid-if-you-have-allergies
Many of the chemicals commonly found in household cleansers and hygiene/beauty products can become extremely harmful when absorbed through the skin. The Organic Consumers Association states that in some cases absorption of chemicals through the skin can be more dangerous than oral ingestion. When chemicals are absorbed into the skin, there is no saliva or protective enzymes to assist in the chemical breakdown process. Instead, the chemicals are absorbed directly into the bloodstream, from which they travel to vital organs, accumulating until they become toxic. This is even more concerning since a 2004 study revealed that the average adult uses nine personal care products on their body each day, and 126 different chemicals. The OCA also released a report in 2008 in which they found, “At least one toxic, carcinogenic chemical in over 40 different products labeled ‘natural.'” The prevalence of personal and household chemical use combined with the toxic effects of chemical exposure have been found to be correlated to cancers, allergies, asthma, birth defects, and many other health problems.
Consumers are left to wonder how they are so unprotected to harmful chemical exposure. Unfortunately, household cleaning products are regulated under the 1960 Federal Hazardous Substances Labeling Act, which requires them to list only the immediate hazards which could potentially happen when the product is misused on their product labels. Because of this and other regulatory loopholes, cleaning products are not regulated under the same guidelines as food and personal care products. As a result, it is estimated that up to eighty-five percent of warning labels are inadequate.
As if all of the above isn’t bad enough, the International Agency for Research on cancer has concluded that eighty percent of fall cancers,”Are attributed to environmental rather than genetic factors.”
Consumers have essentially been left in the dark concerning comprehensive disclosure of chemical components and harmful effects of chemical exposure. Take charge of your own health and learn more about household chemicals!
Well, this gives me a few more things to check into, for sure! Have YOU ever discovered chemicals in your home that were a surprise to you? How did you replace them?
Due to the amount of comments from all of my wonderful readers, it is not always possible for me to respond to each one. However, I absolutely do read them all, and if you’d like to address something specific, or have a question for me, please don’t hesitate to email me at Kristen@theroadtodomestication.com. I will respond to your email as soon as possible! Thank you for visiting the blog!