I love to clean. I really do. And I love the end result. But one of my favorite things to have nice and squeaky-clean is the oversized step-down tile shower in our Master Bathroom.
But it’s no easy thing to clean. All the tile, all the grout. It has the potential to get really gross if I don’t keep a handle on it, that’s for sure. And I’ve just been using a bleach bathroom cleaner to do so.
But then the other day I breathed in too much of that cleaner and had a nice little coughing fit. It took me about 10 minutes to regain normal breathing capability. And I’ve gotta be honest, it kinda scared me a little bit!
So when blogger Pheeby Snow contacted me about an article on eco mold and mildew cleaning products, I certainly wanted to know more, and I wanted to share the info with all of you! So, here’s Pheeby!
Cleaning is a time-consuming activity and it might be quite tiresome, yet it is important not only for the pleasant appearance of your home, but also for your health. This is why it needs to be done regularly and taken quite seriously. I am utterly convinced that everyone has faced the challenge to remove mold and mildew from his or her home. And I say challenge, since these filthy fungi are really difficult to cope with. In the following text I am going to discuss several types of cleaning products and more particularly the most ecologically-friendly ones.
One of the ways to get rid of mold is to actually prevent it from forming. That is why buying a dehumidifier might prove a good investment. Moreover, it is a good idea to open your doors and windows frequently, especially after you have used the bathroom. Keep your clothes, curtains, and other fabrics dry. If you follow these essential instructions, mold and mildew are less likely to form in your home.
If, however, the above-mentioned things do not save you from these uninvited residents, you might resort to the use of various cleaning products. I am sure that bleach is the first thing that pops into everyone’s mind when it comes to coping with mold and mildew. It is true that it quickly eliminates the fungi with minimum effort. But it also has an unpleasant distinctive odor and is quite harmful to the skin. Various mold-removing products can be found on the market, but they are even more poisonous than bleach. They might cause various allergic reactions, involving breathing problems and skin irritation, not to mention the terrible impact they have on the environment.
Apart from all those toxic bleach-based products, you can find ecologically friendly ones on the market. Manufacturing companies promise the customers plant-based, non-toxic, phosphate-free, 100% biodegradable mold and mildew removers in recyclable packagings. They are easy to use and quite effective. In addition, they are non-corrosive to skin and most of them are completely odorless. Although these might be a bit pricier than a regular bottle of bleach, I would highly recommend them.
You can also clean your home from the filthy fungi by means of products that are imminently part of every household, such as white vinegar, baking soda, liquid soap, lemon juice, etc. All of them are extremely cheap and easy to find, and what is most important – they are completely environment friendly and I do not really think they can harm your skin in any possible way.
They are highly recommended for use by TenancyClean South West London. Vinegar, for example, is claimed to be able to kill up to 82% of the molds formed in your house. It is true that it has a distinctive and not particularly nice smell, but it dissipates within several hours. Baking soda mixed with liquid soap is also a quite effective means for removing mold, especially from tiles, sinks, and bathtubs. It is interesting to note that even some small quantity of cheap vodka can be used for the purpose. It is true that the use of all these home-made cleaning products requires additional wiping and rinsing but they are worth trying, for they appear to be really effective.
I would also like to shortly dwell upon one last eco friendly and relatively cheap means for coping with the persistent molds. It is the so-called tea tree oil which is known to be a natural fungicide. Only ten drops of it are enough to clean quite a large area. Just mix it with water and spray over the problematic surface.
Finally, mould and mildew can cause serious health problems, so they should be removed from your home as soon as possible. You should carefully research the products you intend to use – whether they are safe for your family and pets, as well as the and the surface you are going to treat with them. And if you opt for an ecologically friendly one, you will also contribute to the protection of the environment.
Thanks so much, Pheeby! I’m glad to know about some different alternatives to my choke-inducing cleaning products! What about you? Do you use any kind of eco-cleansers in your home?
Due to the amount of comments from all of my wonderful readers, it is not always possible for me to respond to each one. However, I absolutely do read them all, and if you’d like to address something specific, or have a question for me, please don’t hesitate to email me at Kristen@theroadtodomestication.com. I will respond to your email as soon as possible! Thank you for visiting the blog!