Everyone loves chocolate chip cookies, right? They’re an American classic!
But, in case you ever want to dress them up a bit, the folks over at Home Made Simple gave some great examples! I had never seen this before – I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! (It’s a great way to make a standard cookie look pretty, using ingredients you probably already have in your pantry!)
Start with a basic Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe:
Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Makes 24 cookies
Prep time: 20 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
Bake time: 15 minutes
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 ounces chocolate chips
- Melt butter over low heat in a small saucepan, then set aside to lightly cool.
- Sift flour, salt and baking soda into a spouted mixing bowl.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Whisk together whole egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- Reduce mixer speed and slowly add egg mixture. Beat until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Gradually pour in flour mixture, occasionally stopping to scrape the sides of the mixer bowl.
- Once flour is incorporated, stir in chocolate chips, then chill dough for 1 hour.
- Place oven racks in the top and bottom third of the oven and preheat to 375°F.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough into 2-tablespoon portions onto prepared pans, approximately 6 cookies per sheet.
- Bake two sheets at a time for 15 minutes, and rotate the pans halfway through.
- Cool cookies on a cooling rack
Okay, now for the fun stuff!
Stir in about 1/2 cup – 1 cup of the following ingredients to the above recipe (or your own favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe) for some pazazz!
- dried cherries
- cocoa powder
- chocolate-coated candies
Or even better…
- white chocolate chips
- peanut butter coated candy pieces
They had some great ideas! And I love the depth the cookies take on when just one additional ingredient is added! Genius!
Check out the Home Made Simple website for lots of awesome ideas – you can even sign up for their email updates!