I’ll never forget the day that my husband told me (on a Sunday afternoon), “Hey, I’m gonna start the South Beach Diet tomorrow!”
I was a bit surprised, but responded, “Oh, okay! You really want to do that? I mean, if that’s what you want to do, then go for it!”
He countered, “Yep, I think it’s just what I need to drop the few pounds I gained over the holidays. SO, here’s the book. You’ll need to to do my grocery shopping and make the recipes for me.”3 Best Foods for Weight Loss: Delicious Recipes Included! #bestfoods #weightloss #recipes Click To Tweet
Do you wanna GUESS how THAT conversation ended?! HA! I am ALL for changing eating habits for the better, but I need a little bit of a notice, if you know what I mean!And motivation. Motivation is good, too!
If you are planning to start a diet with your family, you can boost the motivation for it by cooking some delicious low-calorie meals that contain the best foods for weight loss. That way, everyone starts to get used to some different tastes if they aren’t already! These special ingredients will ensure that you achieve your goals, and the recipes included in the article will allow you to enjoy this journey.
The benefits of broccoli are many, say Live Science and multiple studies. This extraordinary plant makes you healthier overall, helps protect against cancer, and greatly improves your digestion. It’s the latter that makes it a great addition to a weight loss diet. Not only is broccoli rich in dietary fiber, which boosts heart health and cleanses your body. It also contains elements that improve the condition of gut bacteria. While your gut is healthy, you can process foods better, thus boosting the efficiency of your diet.
Broccoli and Chickpea Salad (Heart and Gut Health Booster)
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz., drained)
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 5 scallions (sliced)
- ½ cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook broccoli either by steaming (under 20 minutes) or in the microwave (for 3 minutes). This way they will retain most of the nutrients. Boiling destroys the majority of those.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, zest, mustard, and honey in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- Combine cooled broccoli with chickpeas and season with the dressing.
A 5-year study showed that getting protein from nuts more than animal products helps fight against obesity. That’s why despite being high in calories, nuts, and especially almonds, are on the list of what to eat to lose weight fast. They are a great source of energy, protein, antioxidants, and heart-friendly fats. All you need to remember is to keep your appetite under control and only limit your intake of nuts to a handful a day.
Not only are nuts one of the best foods for weight loss, they also make the best healthy snack. Just be sure to eat them unseasoned as it’s the healthiest way. If you want to enjoy something more elaborate, try:
Almond-Blueberry French Toast
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- 3 cups blueberries (can use frozen)
- 1 pound bread (whole-grain, diced into 1-inch cubes)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger (ground)
- 8 eggs
- 3 ½ cups low-fat milk
- ½ cup butter (unsalted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whisk eggs, then gradually add the rest of the ingredients except blueberries, almonds, and bread.
- Toss blueberries and bread in a large bowl. Then add the custard and stir so every piece is coated.
- Transfer the mixture to an oiled baking pan and sprinkle almonds on top. Bake at 325F for 45 minutes covered and then for 20-25 uncovered. Leave cool overnight and enjoy for breakfast.
Cottage cheese is one of the best foods for weight loss because it benefits your gut, gives you calcium, and is one of the finest sources of protein. So long as you eat a low or non-fat variety, this will be the best kind of dairy product for your diet. It’s also an extremely versatile ingredient that you can use in many sweet and savory recipes your whole family will enjoy.
Be sure to try a simple parfait for breakfast. Place a bit of cottage cheese in a bowl, top with chopped fruit, and sprinkle with crushed nuts and a trickle of honey.
Cottage Cheese Roasted Potato
- ¼ cup cottage cheese
- 1 big russet potato (baked)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Slice the baked potato like a hot-dog bun and stuff it with cottage cheese and tomatoes mixed with olive oil.
Hopefully you find the above simple and easy to incorporate into your menus! Hey, even if you’re not trying to lose any weight, these are great options for healthy eating.
What’s YOUR favorite “diet” food?
Due to the amount of comments from all of my wonderful readers, it is not always possible for me to respond to each one. However, I absolutely do read them all, and if you’d like to address something specific, or have a question for me, please don’t hesitate to email me at Kristen@theroadtodomestication.com. I will respond to your email as soon as possible! Thank you for visiting the blog!